This Post May Contain Affiliate Links. Please Read Our Disclosure Policy.
Are you tired of spending money on home improvement projects? Do you want to learn how to DIY and get a high-end look for less? I’m sharing beginner DIY project tips that will help you get started! DIY projects can be a fun and rewarding way to upgrade + update your home, but it can be intimidating for beginners. I’m sharing some of my favourite DIY home improvement projects for beginners to get you started and how to improve your skills as you learn to DIY!
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes
Picking Your First Project as your Learn to DIY
One of the most important things when you are learning to DIY is to start with small, beginner home projects that will be manageable for you. This will give you the confidence to move on to more complex DIY projects.
Easy DIY Home Projects for Beginners
Some great beginner DIY project ideas include:
- Painting a room – This is a great way to give your home a fresh look without breaking the bank. All you need is some paint, brushes/rollers, and a little bit of patience. Need some guidance? Check out this video.
- Installing shelves – Adding shelves to your home can create more storage space and help you organize your belongings. You can purchase pre-made shelves from a hardware store or build your own. Most pre-made shelves come with instructions, but YouTube has great videos if you need a little more help.
- Refinishing furniture – If you have an old piece of furniture that could use a little love, consider refinishing it. Sand it down, and apply fresh paint or stain. You’ll have a brand-new piece of furniture. Looking for inspiration? Check out these inspiring furniture makeovers from my friend, The Coastal Oak.
More Advanced DIY Projects
If you’re looking for more advanced DIY home improvement projects for beginners, here are some of my favourites that I started with.
- Closet – Install some wall wallpaper and install a new closet system. It’s a great way to improve a space in your home while getting the hang of DIY! This was an early DIY for me; you can learn more here.
- Powder room – Install some wall moulding, whether vertical shiplap, picture frame moulding, board and batten. You might even consider installing wallpaper on half of the wall. Learn more about my powder room project for more inspiration.
- Laundry room – This might be a perfect place to start if you have a tired, outdated laundry room! Like the ideas for a powder room, you can add wall mouldings, wallpaper, and paint.
These projects are great starting points since they are small spaces, and there is more room for mistakes!
Tips for Planning Your Beginner DIY Project:
Once you’ve decided on a project, ensure you have all the necessary tools and materials. Don’t be afraid to ask for help at your local hardware store – they’re there to help! Learn more about my favourite DIY tools for beginners.
Shop DIY Tools for Beginners
Making a Plan
Before you get started, it’s also essential to have a plan. Take some time to review these beginner DIY project tips, research your project online, and watch tutorial videos. This will help you avoid mistakes and ensure your project turns out just how you want it to.
Some of my favourite places to learn are YouTube and Instagram. When working on a new project, I watch YouTube videos to see how something is done. I also follow many inspiring accounts on Instagram and learn things that may not apply to current projects but help for future projects.
Finally, remember to have fun! DIY projects can be a great way to express your creativity and add a personal touch to your home! Plus, the sense of accomplishment you’ll feel after completing a project is genuinely unbeatable – trust me!
How can I teach myself DIY?
Learning DIY skills can be a rewarding and fulfilling experience! Here are some tips to help you teach yourself DIY:
- Start with basic projects – Begin with simple DIY projects that require only a few tools and basic skills, such as hanging shelves or painting a room.
- Use online resources – Many online resources can teach you DIY skills, from instructional videos to step-by-step guides. Some popular DIY websites include DIY Network, Family Handyman, and This Old House. My favourite is watching YouTube videos specific to the project I am working on.
- Attend workshops – Many home improvement stores and community centers offer workshops on DIY projects. Attending these workshops can help you learn new skills and connect with other DIY enthusiasts.
- Invest in the right tools – Having the right tools is essential for any DIY project and makes your work easier.
- Practice and be patient – DIY skills take time to develop, so keep going if your first few projects turn out differently. Practice and be patient with yourself; you’ll soon develop the skills and confidence to take on more complex projects.
Beginner Project DIY Tip
I have learned in DIY that even if you mess something up, it is easy to fix. Especially with smaller DIY projects! If you install moulding wrong, you take it down, smooth the wall, and try again. Having trouble with wallpaper? Stop, watch a new how-to video, and try again.
By following these tips, you can teach yourself DIY skills and create unique and personalized home projects.