This Post May Contain Affiliate Links. Please Read Our Disclosure Policy.
When decorating your home, making the right choices can be a delicate balancing act. While you want to create a beautiful space that reflects your style, it’s also important to be mindful of your budget. Today, I will guide you through the art of splurging vs saving in home decor, helping you find the perfect equilibrium between quality and affordability at home. Plus, my advice to new homeowners, how I balance high and low in our home, and places to splurge for home decor.
Estimated reading time: 7 minutes
Thinking about your life stage when decorating your home and deciding where to splurge vs save is essential. My favourite place to splurge is lighting because it creates a focal point in your space. Also, if you have small children, you worry less about damaging chandeliers and wall sconces. Plus, if you move to a new home, you can easily remove it and take it with you!
New Homeowners Trying to Mix High and Low Items?
If you are a new homeowner trying to create a designer-inspired home with a mix of splurge and save items, here are a few items I would consider.
Lighting: Lighting can set the mood for the space and create a statement, especially in areas like the dining room. Our first designer lighting purchase was for the dining room because it is space guests see when they visit (whether or not they are staying for dinner!). This is my favourite place to splurge vs save.
Hardware: Hardware is one of the ways to quickly refresh a space and give it an entirely new look. It is also a great place to spend money because it is one of those items you can quickly tell if it is high quality. This is my second favourite place to splurge vs save at home. Also, you’ll likely use hardware on cabinets daily, so it is worth the investment!
Splurge or Save:
Wood Furniture: Depending on the look you want for your home, you can find great deals on wood furniture, especially on Facebook Marketplace. In the era of famous designers like Amber Lewis, you can truly get the look for less by searching Facebook Marketplace for antique items.
If you can’t find what you want secondhand, then I recommend splurging on a quality piece of wood furniture. This will last you forever, but it won’t last very long if you buy something cheap that isn’t solid wood!
Decor: There are many great budget-friendly places to buy decor, from H&M Home to HomeSense and your local thrift store!
Refresh Old Furniture or IKEA: I have so many items in my home that I have given new life with a makeover and IKEA items, whether I swapped out the hardware or added moulding. It’s a great way to get a higher-end look for less; this is a great place to save vs splurge at home.
When decorating our home after moving in, I thought about the spaces we spend the most time in and the spaces guests see when they visit. So I started on these spaces as a priority when decorating!
If you have a little more money but still want to mix high and low items in your home decor, here are a few ideas to help!
Splurge on Statement Pieces:
When making a lasting impression, investing in a few statement pieces can transform an entire room. Here are some places to splurge for home decor:
- Furniture: A comfortable and well-crafted sofa or a timeless dining table can become the centrepiece of your living room or dining area. Investing in high-quality furniture ensures longevity and adds a touch of elegance to your home.
- Lighting Fixtures: Illuminate your space with style and sophistication. A dazzling chandelier or a unique pendant light can elevate the ambiance of any room and become a conversation starter.
- Artwork: Adorning your walls with captivating artwork enhances the visual appeal and reflects your taste. Consider investing in original paintings or limited edition prints to create a captivating focal point.
Save with Versatile Accessories:
While splurging on statement pieces can create an impact, there are several areas where you can save without compromising style. Here are some places to consider:
- Decorative Accessories: Accessorizing your home doesn’t have to break the bank. Look for budget-friendly options like decorative pillows, vases, and affordable artwork prints. These small details can still enhance your space without draining your wallet.
- Textiles: Soft furnishings like curtains, rugs, and throw blankets can add warmth and texture to your home. Opt for cost-effective options without sacrificing quality, such as versatile and durable fabrics that withstand wear and tear.
- Functional Storage: Explore affordable alternatives that provide functionality and style rather than splurge on expensive storage solutions. Look for storage baskets, bins, and shelves that organize your space while adding visual interest.
Splurge on Long-lasting Fixtures:
Certain fixtures in your home benefit from higher-quality materials and craftsmanship. Here are two areas worth the splurge vs the save at home:
- Kitchen Upgrades: The heart of your home deserves quality fixtures that can withstand daily use. Consider investing in durable and visually appealing sinks, faucets, and high-quality appliances. These upgrades can significantly enhance the functionality and aesthetics of your kitchen.
- Bathroom Elegance: Elevate your bathroom’s style and functionality with luxurious fixtures. Splurging on high-quality brass bathroom faucets, elegant vanities, and luxurious showerheads can create a spa-like retreat that exudes luxury and durability.
Decorating your home is an exciting journey of self-expression, and finding the right balance between splurging and saving is crucial. You can create a beautiful home that reflects your unique style by investing in statement pieces, long-lasting fixtures, and areas that significantly impact your daily life. Remember, there are also plenty of opportunities to save by choosing budget-friendly options for accessories and textiles. So embrace the art of splurge vs save, and let your home decor shine with style and savings.