This Post May Contain Affiliate Links. Please Read Our Disclosure Policy.
Expecting a new addition to your family is exciting, but looking for ideas to create a cozy and functional space for your little one can be daunting, especially if you’re working with a small room for a nursery! But don’t fret; with some creativity and thoughtful planning, you can make the most of your small space and design a beautiful and practical nursery for your baby. We’re here to help you with small room nursery ideas that maximize space without sacrificing style or comfort. From utilizing vertical space and choosing multi-functional furniture to incorporating clever storage solutions and adding personal touches through decor, we’ll provide you with all the tips and ideas you need to create the perfect nursery from a small room.
Estimated reading time: 8 minutes
Shop the Nursery
It’s an exciting time because my sister and her husband are expecting their first baby. The space they picked for the nursery is small but works perfectly for a little one! They had just finished installing this beautiful wildflower wallpaper in their guest room before finding out they were expecting, so she decided they wanted to include this in the nursery theme. They don’t know if they are expecting a girl or a boy since they are keeping it a surprise, but we can always make some adjustments if needed! I am so glad I was able to help them create a beautiful nursery for their little one.
Small Space Nursery Ideas
When designing a small nursery, it’s all about maximizing the space you have. Here are some ideas to help you make the most of a small room:
1. Multi-functional Furniture: Look for furniture that can serve multiple purposes, like a crib that converts into a toddler bed or a changing table that doubles as a dresser. In my sister’s space, we opted for the IKEA Hemnes dresser that will double as a changing table.
2. Vertical Storage: Use the walls to your advantage by installing shelves and hanging organizers for diapers, wipes, and other baby essentials. We installed a book rack behind the door and over the door hooks for hanging extra items.
Small Nursery Storage Ideas
One of the biggest challenges of a small nursery is finding space to store all of your baby’s belongings. Here are some storage solutions to help keep your nursery organized:
1. Under-Crib Storage: If you have a small nursery, it is important to utilize the space underneath the crib using ideas such as adding baskets or bins to store extra blankets, diapers, and toys. If you’re worried about it showing, you can add a skirt to the crib.
2. Wall-Mounted Shelves: Wall-mounted shelves are a great way to keep items organized while freeing up floor space.
3. Drawer Organizers: Keeping things organized is important with a small nursery; use storage ideas like drawer organizers to keep items like clothes, socks, and bibs tidy and easy to find. Amazon and IKEA have lots of great options!
Adding Personality Through Decor
Adding personality to your baby’s nursery can make it feel like a special and unique space for your little one. Here are some ideas to help you infuse personality and style into your baby’s nursery, even if it is a small space:
1. Use Colour: Choose a colour palette that reflects your style and personality. For example, you can use a bold, bright colour scheme or a more muted, calming palette.
2. Mix and Match Patterns: Don’t be afraid to mix and match different patterns in your baby’s nursery. Combining stripes, polka dots, florals, and other patterns creates a playful and fun atmosphere.
3. Wallpaper: Using wallpaper is a great way to add personality and style to the room without taking up any additional space. You can choose from various patterns and designs to create a unique and personalized space for your little one.
4. Add Wall Art: Adding wall art or a gallery wall is an easy way to add personality to the nursery. You can hang family photos and artwork or create a gallery wall with different prints and frames. Etsy has some excellent nursery gallery wall prints to download, which can be affordable.
Shop nursery wallpaper and art ideas
5. Personalize Items: Personalizing items like blankets, pillows, and stuffed animals with your baby’s name or initials is a great way to add a special touch to their nursery.
6. Use Unique Decor: Incorporate unique decor items that reflect your personality and style. For example, we added the bunting to drape along the top of the ceiling leading to the rattan hot air balloon!
7. Swap out hardware: Customize furniture further by swapping out the knobs on dressers and other furniture for something more custom. For example, my dad made these wood flower knobs for the Hemnes dresser!
You can create a beautiful and functional nursery in a small space with some creativity and smart design choices. Whether you choose a wildflower theme or add some hot air balloon decor, your little one’s room will surely be a cozy and inviting space for them to grow and thrive.
To set up a small nursery, you must maximize your limited space by choosing multi-functional furniture, utilizing vertical space, and incorporating clever storage solutions. It’s also important to add personal touches through decor without sacrificing space.
To make a cheap baby nursery, you can repurpose furniture, shop for second-hand items, and DIY your own decor. It’s also important to prioritize essential items and avoid unnecessary purchases.
When you don’t have space for a nursery, you can consider using a corner of your bedroom or a shared space in the house. Another idea is choosing multi-functional furniture and utilizing vertical space to maximize your limited space.